Kicking Fear in the Face
Fear is the opposition to execution. See, I love executing and have been blessed with an immense passion for both ideation and execution. I pride myself in being a great executor and finishing projects I start. I’ve gotten rave reviews from past and current managers that this is a strength of mine and its allowed me to be successful up to this point. If I’m honest with myself, I have absolutely sucked lately at execution, especially as it pertains to finishing this blog and announcing it to the world. For many reasons, but they all come back to fear. Here’s been my internal dialog:
- The design isn’t where needs to be. (I’m aware that the layout has a few issues of cutting off text on the About and Contact page. I have my designer working on those things. I’m shipping this thing anyway.)
- My writing is inadequate, just like my 3rd grade teacher told me.
- Do I bring anything of value?
- Where will I find the time?
- People will think I’m arrogant and full of myself.
- I’m going to have to be vulnerable and take risks.
- I’m passionate about too many things, what do I focus on?
- Will anyone other than my wife and mom read my blog?
I’ve been capturing ideas and writing potential blog posts for months now. I’m making the decision today to kick fear in the face and going after this whole blog thing, even if its just to practice being vulnerable and exercising that muscle. You can expect me to write 3-4 blogs/week about many things I’m passionate about. For more information on that, check out my About page. You’ll get a good feel at how ADD I am and a bit of a background on my story.
What’s fear keeping you from shipping or executing today? I’d love to assist in spurring you forward. Comment via the comment button to the right or connect with me on Twitter.
Here’s to a journey of kicking fear in the face and hopefully providing valuable content to the world. Enjoy!